Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Felted

All of your comments were so encouraging, so I decided to give felting a go!

I figured why not make a felted Mickey. I pulled up some online directions by googling felting and used the Fuzzy Felt Friends book. Felting is tough! You just stab and stab the wool until you get the shape you want, but you MUST completely focus on the wool or you'll stab yourself for sure! This is a dangerous little hobby - I broke two needles! One flicked off onto the floor, I had to take a magnet and search for it, so no puppies or people would fine it. I found it thank goodness. Then the second one broke off inside the little felted Mickey! I wasn't 100% sure so I took a kitchen knife and cut him open lol I found it, but couldn't get it out. Even though he was cut in half I just stabbed the wool shut - pretty cool you can fix mistakes quickly!
So you continue to stab and stab. I made the legs, ears, and tail separate and just stabbed them into place. It is really tough and you must give it your full attention. There was a special on the History Channel about King Tut, which I've been wanting to watch, but couldn't because I didn't want to stick myself!
I used foam for floral arrangements - DO NOT do this! It turned the wool green. I found two unused sponges and they worked perfect! The needles are so delicate! After awhile I felt more confident shaping the wool, it took a total of 2 hours to finish this little guy!
I took the tiniest pieces of black wool to make his eyes and nose! You can stab the wool into any shape you want - this is pretty cool.
So here is my little felted Mickey - he was zero fun to make! But that's just my take on felting! You should still try it! The broken needles really annoyed me! I felt like I needed safety goggles for the flying needles! I stuck myself only twice surprisingly. Maybe I should have started with something easier than a dog. I will try it again, it didn't total beat me :)

So there you go! If anyone has ever made you a felted something - treasure it! All these ladies on etsy selling felted creatures must have the patience of saints!
Pin It

23 comments:

lolo sr said...

is there a broken needle inside that little Mickey? i bet real Mickey would eat a broken off piece of needle...so i guess it's fitting! cute!

JenCoen said...

oh my goodness how adorable!! i love it!!! great job!

Becky said...

Lo - yes the needle is still in there! lol I couldn't get it out!

Thank you Jen!! :)

Carrie said...

so cute! You did such a good job

Ashley Ann said...

I think Mickey looks great! I do have to admit to being a little put off by you "stabbing" his parts on! haha

Sounded kind of scary, but all the violence turned out so cute!

Lindsay said...

wow so cute!!!! I think I will stick to not felting... LOL I thought it would have been way easier to do.. It turned out awesome though!!
xoxo,
Lindsay

christinaalessi said...

LOL - "stabbing" him into place!
This came out really really well! I really love it!

I've never made a needle felted figure, but I needle felt designs onto things. I can't tell you how many times I have stabbed RIGHT THROUGH the top of my finger.

I make felted bags with needle felted applique and often have to justify my pricing because they're very time consuming to make. Perhaps I should also remind people that I have risked my life in the sake of crafting.

LOL

Stacy said...

awee that is so cute!!

Giggly said...

How cute is that?! You did a great job for how tough it was. :)

danny said...

ok neexxt i want a life sized sculpture of me(writing my 10 page paper about guiding children through life)kthx.

Emilie Lynne said...

Aww that turned out so adorable! I have been wanting to try felting for a while but I was afraid it would be so hard to do... but now you have me feeling like maybe I should give it a try!

chelseybell. said...

for all that terrible-sounding work, he did turn out pretty cute :).

Sarah said...

He came out really cute all the same! You have some major patience.

PaisleyJade said...

He's super cute!!

Laurie Anne said...

Omigosh! That is so freakin cute! You did a great job! Looks like you've found another craft you are good at :) xx

Silje Røe Hagland said...

oh my gosh that is just the cutest thing ever <3

You did such a great job! I can't even imagine, I don't think I would have the patience, plus I would probably stab myself 63782017 times.

<3

Jacque said...

AWWW!! He's so cute!! You are so talented!!

laoose said...

sooooo cute! i could never do that - no patience!! "it was zero fun to make" hahaha - poor lil mick! my mom stepped on a needle once and it went all the way to the bone and they didnt have any wheel chairs at the airport, so I had to push her around in a luggage cart :)

daNgo said...

its like the most adorable furball a cat could throw up. Haha, you'll learn to appreciate this comment as a compliment :)

boots said...

so cute! you did a fantastic job!

Bird Trouble said...

OMG i need to try this!!! mickey turned out so adorable!

carly. said...

i DID want to try this...haha, it looks fun but i am so not patient with stuff. i would want it to be done right away but maybe one day...

cuteseas said...

I think you did a great job! super cute! I have always wanted to try felting! Any advice? I'm not sure where I can even pick up the supplies to do it! haha

x

landofcuteseas.blogspot.com