Monday, February 22, 2010

Felting

Hello Everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! 
I decided to take on a new project over the weekend, felting. My aunt Jackie gave me the Fuzzy Felted Friends book last year for my birthday, along with a bunch of wool. I've never done anything with wool before so I'm a bit intimidated. I went to Michael's Saturday and looked everywhere for a felting needle, couldn't find it so  I asked 3 girls that worked there. So much for knowledgeable or helpful workers. One girl was on her iPhone and didn't look up even when I said Hello and nothing of them knew what a felting needle was, which is fine, but then don't even use context clue to help find it - FELTING, maybe in the felt section and NEEDLE, maybe in the needle section -NOPE they just struggled their shoulders. Dummies! 
So I went to Joann's and they were much more helpful and I think I found what I need! I bought a felting needle and a chuck of foam. Have any of you felted before? Is the foam from the floral section ok to use? And couldn't I just use a regular needle? I'm just curious.
I want to make a felted Mickey! 
And make some Easter felted bunnys, lambs, and eggs. Maybe a dunny too!
If you've felted before do you have any tips? 
The book is helpful, but I don't think it's for beginners. I can't wait to get started!
Pin It

11 comments:

Carrie said...

I can't wait to see what you make I have heard of felting but I don't have a clue how good luck!

Carrie

Ashley Ann said...

I totally feel your pain!

Back when I had my hair in dreadlocks I really wanted to find a felting needle to tidy them up, and no one at any craft store had any idea what I was talking about. I never found one, and of course, I now know right where they are at Hobby Lobby!

I think felting needles have special barbs on them that helps felt the wool, and that's why you can't use regular needles. I am no pro though! :D

Laurie Anne said...

You're amazing! Is there anything you don't do ;)
I would love to try felting...but instead I will live vicariously through you...can't wait to see your Mickey come to felt life! xo

xoxoKrysten said...

Oh that is way too much fun!

chelseybell. said...

it seems like you have to know nothing about the where you work or good customer service to work at michaels. when i was looking for a flower loom, i asked three different people if they even carried them (because I had looked everywhere) and they would just say they didn't know and walk off--not even call somebody else or anything! and like your experience I went to joann's and they helped me right away :).

have fun felting--can't wait to see what cute stuff you're going to make.

Kellie said...

I recently bought a felting kit too. But I have not started anything with it yet. As if I need another hobby? Right? of course we do!! :-) I agree with ashley ann that I think the felting needles have little barbs to agitate the wool fibers more than a regular needle. And I think you need a firm type of foam (but not styrofoam)for your needle to go into, but not through. Anyway, that's all I know. Which isn't much these days! I can't wait to see your results.

boots said...

hey lady! felting is so much fun! i actually felted some little bird cake toppers for my wedding this fall. I kinda switched and decided on pies instead so now i have to figure out if i can still use them somehow- they are such cuties. good luck! just dont prick your little fingers.

Alicia (The Red Deer) said...

Oooooh I can't wait to see your creations!

Lindsay said...

I have been super curious about felting too! I can't wait to see what you make!!! You'll have to let me know how hard it was and all the tips you have!
xoxo,
Lindsay

GraphXGrrl said...

That looks like a really fun project. Can't wait to see what you make!

I've never felted before so I'm no help. Sorry. :)

cuteseas said...

i want to learn how to felt soooo bad!!!!!!!

you should try the mask out! at sephora they have samples! you will love it :)

you are too sweet!
x