Thursday, February 18, 2010

Growing on the inside

House to Home part 2!
I was ACTUALLY cooking last week. I needed Oregano, and didn't have any! Kind of annoying when you're on a roll. So over the weekend I decided to make an indoors herb garden.
I asked my dad if he'd accompany me to Home Depot, because it's a bit overwhelming.
My dad never misses a chance to go to Home Depot :)
So I bought 3 different herbs; Basil, Oregano, and Cilantro. I bought an 18 inch rectangular pot, indoor potting soil, and some plant food. The plants I bought were pretty awesome because their pots were environmentally friendly, meaning they weren't plastic and you could just rip the bottom off and plant them.

I put the plants in the big pot inside the house because it was cold out, but I wouldn't suggest doing this because the potting soil is messy.
So after I planted them I read on Martha that you should plant each plant in it's own pot!
Oops! Oh well! Note to self - check Martha.com before doing any thing!! But my Aunt Jackie planted an indoor herb garden and she used only one pot and she's a pretty clever one, so it's tough to say who's right! ;)
While at Home Depot I reminded my dad the last time I tried to grow plants I was 10 years old. He bought all the stuff for me and I was all excited. One of the plants we bought was catnip and we put the plants in pots on our old deck, and every morning I'd go out and every morning the neighborhood cats had attacked the catnip. My dad just laughed and shook his head.
Thank goodness he's a good sport!


So there you! Even if you aren't an amazing chef or in to making home remedies, the herbs smell really good and the green really brightens up the room!
Pin It

8 comments:

Molly Le Blanc said...

Aren't you cute - good job Beck! I've tried planting but I kill everything because I forget about the poor things!

chelseybell. said...

i've always loved the idea of having a little herb garden. i would have to make a trip home to go to lowe's with my dad though--otherwise they'd probably talk me into all sorts of stuff.


we got your valentine in the mail yesterday! it's so cute!! thank you so much for sending one--it made me all happy when i checked the mail!

Laurie Anne said...

That is so neat! I love using fresh herbs we have an herb garden in our backyard but it's seasonal here unfortunatly :) xx Enjoy!

Carrie said...

I started seeds today our garden I really want to do herbs to good luck!

Carrie

yarnikins said...

I don't blame your dad; it's a great place! It pays me every other week!! lol. I've always loved it though, even before I had to/got to work there.

India Daisy said...

Now to make your garden FLOURISH, get a Wormery! LOL

elycia said...

ohhh! my bf and i have been talking about making an indoor garden! that's awesome. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.