Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Doilies & Dye

Last week I was given a Martha Living magazine, which is completely awesome ps. There was a doily dyeing tutorial in the magazine so I thought I'd give it a try. I bought some food coloring - 2 different types; neon and basic.
This is an extremely messy craft. I tried using gloves, but they were too big for my hands. I couldn't gently remove the doilies from the bowls with the gloves on my hands. I took the gloves off and still have multi-colors fingers today.
The doilies turned out pretty - I let them dry overnight. I suppose if you are dead set on having a specific color doily for an event dyeing them is a good idea, but it's a MESS! Plus you'll need lots of room to lay out each doily to dry. On a few I put the dye right on the doily, of course that makes them extra bright. Maybe using a sponge with dye would be better, but be ready to ruin some towels.
Martha also suggests using the doilies for wrapping gifts. Pretty!
Mickey escaped getting dyed this time!
More doily crafts here and here. Fun with dye here!
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

ps sorry about the iPhone pictures
honestly I was too lazy to get the
camera from the car and it was dark out ;)
Pin It

15 comments:

I BLEED PINK said...

These look so pretty. Do you think tongs would have helped any? What are your plans for these beauties?

Lacey said...

So cute! I just love those gifts :)

Becky Farley said...

Hey lady :)
Good idea with the tongs, but they were so delicate that they would have ripped! Because a bunch of mine ripped and I was being super careful. I think I may use them for mother's day- on the table and on the gifts - like Martha ;)

Laurie Anne said...

I subscribe to MS living...a great little magazine! I adore your doilies...so pretty :)

aphrodita wibowo said...

i love doilies...
i have a plan to put my crochet doilies for my recycled jeans bag...
i hope u can come and see it in my blog...

xo

Carrie said...

I love this very good job!

Carrie

Amber said...

Don't you love how Martha or I guess her staff doesn't mention the messy part of that project! They really did turn out pretty though. Be sure to take pictures when you use them.

The Curious Pug said...

those are pretty! brings back memories of arts and crafts from back in elementary school :)

and i'm lol'ing at mickeys green do haha! i would have been tempted to do the same :)

Courtney said...

They are so pretty! Totally worth the mess since you can do a pack of 100 in a few minutes.
I must admit that I always love Martha.

Bonnie said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I am going to try it this weekend, those look awesome!

---new reader :)

Lindsay C said...

They are so cute ! I love the multicolored ones :)

ps. my keds are pretty comfy. I haven't worn them much because I got a tattoo on my foot so I have been wearing sandals. I have purple ones too. I found them at Mardens [if you don't know what that is, it's a store where they always have lots of random things from other stores that go out of business] So they were really cheap so I got two pairs !

emalie said...

pretty!

A Beautiful Party said...

thanks for posting this. Sometimes i screenprint doilies for color but this is a simple process I can do at home. of course, it's also messier but that's part of the fun!

Stephanie said...

How adorable! I would have never thought of that!

carly. said...

i have lots of doilies and dye!! perfect :) i want to make a garland with them after...if i ever actually do this :)