Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Doily Dyeing

Last night I was sewing my doily table runner up, but sitting on the floor hunched over got old fast, so I grabbed the one doily I had left over and tried dying it. Last week I dyed the paper doilies, which turned out pretty.
I used most of the dye in the little bottle above, got my white doily out, and...
....dunked it in the dye! I left the doily in the dye for a bit, but it surprisingly did NOT absorb the dye like I thought it would. I was a bit bummed. Maybe the doily needed to be washed before hand? -But then it might unravel? Any ideas? ps I got the doilies on SUPER sale at Urban Outfitters awhile ago.
I rinsed the doily in cold water and let it dry overnight.
Tada!
It's okay, not exactly what I was thinking when I started, but I like it!
If you try this doily dyeing let me know how yours turn out and if you try any different methods!
Hope you're having a very wonderful day!
Pin It

14 comments:

Jamie said...

I think it turned out pretty!

Laurie Anne said...

Pretty!!!
Now make a hot pink one! :)

Carrie said...

I think it looks great!

Carrie

alovelylittleworld said...

I like it! I think it looks very pretty and would add fun colour to a room :)

MissAlyssa said...

i think that is a gorgeous color blue! im gonna try to tie dye a shirt real soon! wish me luck

Amber said...

I like how it turned out. The color is very pretty. I have not tried washing any of mine but I would maybe try just washing them by hand and air drying.
Have you tried the rit dye? I bought some but have never used it. Ha!! I have tons of stuff like that in my ole craft room.
XOXO

Bonnie said...

I considered dying some regular doilies the day we did ours. I may have to try this next week.. I think I'll make some purple ones.

I'll let you know how it turns out if I do!

...on the brink of something beautiful said...

LOVE!! and i love the one on dying paper doilies. im gonna have to try it SOON!!! :)
-kellie

melissa kaye said...

So lovely! I need to try this one day. :) Thanks for sharing, Becky!

Ces't La Vie said...

awww how fun! :) your just so crafty

i heart your blog! :)

sara

ps i just found you through a button! would you like to trade and continue to spread the love?? :)

Kristin Ann said...

I think it looks so cute. I love anything if it is aqua blue!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is such a good idea. I love that blue!

cupcake cutie said...

wow, i love it! looks so cute...
i may have to do this soon!
xoxo

caitlinpaige said...

I suggest using Rit, because food coloring is never as effective as you want it to be!