Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Candy Sushi

Perfect birthday dessert for the noncake lover in your life! I saw the tutorial here, and LOVED it! These are perfect for kiddos to make, messy but so much fun! In preparation for this DIY I had REAL sushi ;)
You begin making rice crispy treats, I use the recipe on the box + vanilla. I made two batches ps.
***Don't forget the vanilla!! It's what makes rice crispy treats delicious!
So as any good do-it-youselfer I used trial and error and lots of wax paper!
I put the rice crispy treat mix in between two sheets of wax paper (use PAM or baking spray on the wax paper) I used a thing of sugar to roll the rice crispy treats flat to about a half inch thick.
I let them cool and then cut them into rectangles.
I got all my gummy fish (Shark Bites and Finding Nemo) and red Swedish Fish (I ate an entire bag of these before I started - never do that!) and I also got gummy worms and fruit rollups! Red dye number 5 out the wozoooo!
I put my little fish and gummy worms down and rolled them tightly up!
Wrapped the fruit rollup around them :)

And then I cut the roll like a no so professional sushi master! Ha!
They turned out pretty cool!
I finished my candy sushi around midnight, which is way late for me. I got in bed, and had a zillion ideas for candy sushi! I always have my brainstorms right before I fall asleep, but I'm too sleepy to write them down. I told myself to remember them, so here they are:
1. use peanut butter or fluff to stick cocoanut flakes on the pieces
2. red hots or Nerds as roe
3. chocolate or strawberry syrup as that tasty sauce
4. fluff dyed green to make wasabi or pink for ginger
Ok so I thought I had a few more, but I forget! haha! Can you think of any candies to use? Let me know! Hope you enjoy my candy sushi! I'd love to see yours if you decide to make some!
Happy Birthday Brian, you noncake lovin' boy!
Pin It

23 comments:

Jamie said...

I love this idea!!!! I'm saving it to try out sometime. The kids would love it! Thanks for sharing it!!!

Rikki Cupcake said...

ha this is awesome!

Hearthandmade said...

this is amazing!

-heather- said...

this is way to cute!! i can finally talk robin into eating sushi!!! haha!

aubrey said...

I love this!

carly. said...

becky, oh my goodness, that is so so so cute!!! i love that idea...except i have no one to make them for and would just end up eating them all to myself, hehe

chelseybell. said...

what a nifty idea! bear would be alllll over this because he loves rice krispy treats and his first love in life is gummy candy.

Kristen said...

This is such a cute idea and it doesn't look all that hard...you have inspired me!

Amber said...

Wow...they turned out so cool! I love love it!! Last week I ran to Michaels over lunch and was dying of starvation at the checkout counter. I bought a bag of swedish fish and had them scarfed down before I got back to the office. So NOT a good idea!! Ha!!

Molly Le Blanc said...

Becky you are insane. I LOVE them. Love love love them. This is what I want for my big 10 10 10 birthday! :)

Christine said...

Oh jum!! you are so inventive:)

hiani16 said...

What a cute idea! I'm totally making this for my 4 year old cousins this weekend. It will have them on a sugar high that will last all week!

~Janice
jungleejuice.blogspot.com

christinaalessi said...

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Laurie Anne said...

What a fabulous idea! My sushi loving kids will love this! Thank you for such a cute sweet treat (:

apparentlyjessy said...

Awww this is so cool! You always do the coolest things Becky!

A Thrifty Mrs said...

Wow, what a fantastic idea. I am 100% going to try this soon.

Yesterday's Sweetheart said...

Yum! You're so creative!!

CupKay said...

OH MY! haha that's amazing, I'm totally doing this! Thanks for sharing!

PaperCameraScissor said...

My littlest love sushi! I am so going make these. Thanks for sharing!!

GraphXGrrl said...

OMG! This is TOO CUTE!! I <3 it!!!

Vixen lily said...

wow, candy sushi.. great idea!

Holly Knitlightly said...

Haha so cute! And I love how you had a bag before you even started. :)

Betty said...

What a great idea! I have to try it sometime.