Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Beaded Bracelet

Look at this beaded bracelet by Ashley over at Under Those Neon Lights!
She made it custom for me and I love it so much! She'll make you one too! Go look at her shop!
I picked the colors and she put them together perfectly!! Compliments my heart friendship bracelet from Justina and Jordy! ;)
One thing I found super interesting about Ashley is that she lives in Cherokee NC. Every summer growing up we'd pack up the car and head to Franklin NC. The mountains are amazing! The trips were always long (12 hours from FL to NC), but we made so many memories on those car drives! My parents would set a few days aside to go exploring, and we'd head over to Cherokee! I LOVED Cherokee. Looking back now all the gift shops are basically junk shops, but I loved the beads, bands, dolls, drums, etc.
The photo above is my sister and I in 1989 in Cherokee. My sister is the baby, I'm the oldest, no little Danny yet. The one thing that bummed me out as a kid (and now) was the bear show! No good, no good! Then the whole Indians being given crappy land after the settlers wrecked their world - all bad. I drove down the Tamiami Trail (in FL) recently, which is a road in the middle of a swamp, and where the Miccosukee Indians live. In the swamp with gators and snakes and tons of water? Really? Okay, I'm not trying to bum you all out, but geez!
Here's the Farley gang again (minus me) in 2000-ish. Cherokee is a beautiful place, with a wonderful museum. I'd love to go back soon! Thanks Ashley for my bracelet and bringing back all those great memories! Ps: I think I'll be needing this of Mickey! ;)
Who's been to Cherokee NC?
Pin It

20 comments:

Michelle (michabella) said...

Super cute bracelets!!! I did a missions trip with my church up in Cherokee, NC...many moons ago :)

molly YEH! said...

those bracelets are so cute! they remind me of summer camp :-)

carly. said...

ooooh that is cute!! and definitely matches the friendship bracelet well. i use to wear both of those kinds of bracelets as a kid!! too cute xo

Amber said...

Love the bracelet. The colors are beautiful! Thanks for sharing your family vacation story. Cute photos!

Carrie said...

me me!!! I love it there, we go up that way every year. Love the bracelet

Carrie

Carrie said...

Becky the table was actually my husband kitchen table growing up he refinished and I love it thanks for the sweet comment!

Carrie

Thera Joyce said...

Love your bracelet! Ashley makes the coolest stuff. She made me a pink and black beaded bracelet and I wear it everyday! I love her! She's so sweet. :)

Also, thank you so much for letting me know I won the business cards! I never got the email because it was in my spam folder! That's my worst nightmare. I'm always super afraid that people don't get my emails too. I am so excited that I won them! I need some business cards for my blog. Yay!

Thera Joyce

erica said...

We used to go to Cherokee too and I have that exact pic with the Indian! I remember it being a great place to go. Rock City in Tennessee is also a fun place.

Tee* said...

Hey there hun... Guess what? You've won the giveaway over at my blog! :)
If you could just email me with your address and the info on what type of colors you want for your monstey, I can get started on making him up and sending him your way. Thanks for entering! my email address: compendium.of.cute[at!]gmail[dot]com

Ashley Ann said...

I love your bracelets! So cute!

I get pretty bummed when I think about the Native Americans. We drove through a reservation this summer, and it was not pretty.

kym said...

Me!!! I was there about 12 years ago with my kids. I lived in North Carolina for about 10 years and I had been all over that state.

Cute bracelet...love it.

Jenny said...

OH my goodness, we had the same pictures too with the Cherokee Indians. Brings back many childhood memories!

Emily said...

I want one! That's so cool!

Ashley said...

It's sad that we still have all the bear zoos, even after peta tried to step in.

Anonymous said...

What"s really sad is that these Indians are what people think of when they think of my people. Neither of these guys are dressed in traditional Cherokee dress. Also the "Indian" in the first picture is deceased and in that spot there is a small memorial plaque. Sorry for the rant.

Becky Farley said...

hey anonymous,
that's interesting, don't be sorry at all! I appreciate the knowledge! I was only 6 in that photo, did that fellow do that full time? Do you have a photo of the plaque? If you could email me it that would be wonderful!
email me here: becksorange@gmail.com

justinee said...

LOVE that beaded bracelet!!
And we got our bookmarks! One is in use right now!
You are amazing!

justinee said...

Oh--p.s. how far away do you live from orlando? I will be there in january ;)

Holly Knitlightly said...

Cute bracelet! Love the photos. :)

Lydie said...

ok I need to know how to make those friendship bracelets!! so cute!