Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Cheese Cake vs Carrot Cake...GO!

Which is your favorite? I'm going to say Cheese Cake all the way!
I've made both cakes, but I've only made one Carrot Cake. It was totally vegan (which I am not) and I loved it, but my dad didn't. Since it is his birthday I won't made the vegan cake again!

new york style cheese cake

Go check out this Cheese Cake recipe over at Sew lovely Embroidery!

Here are some Cheese Cake Tips Shanny

I do have a few tips if you choose to go with the cheesecake as it can be a little tricky:

-When making cheesecakes make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature so they blend together to create a smooth texture. Cold cheese is harder to beat and you can end up with graininess.

-Judging when a cheesecake is fully baked always presents a challenge. They are very deceptive as they do need to be removed from the oven when the center is still wobbly and wet looking. Cracking can also be a problem. As a cheesecake bakes its moisture evaporates. If too much moisture is lost (when overcooked), or if it evaporates too quickly (oven temperature too hot) cracking will occur.
So be sure to follow your recipe's instructions.

-Also, to prevent cracking, shortly after you remove the cheesecake from the oven, run a sharp knife around the inside edge of the cheesecake. Once the cheesecake has completely cooled, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. This allows the cake to set, flavors to meld, and produces a creamier texture.

Next a delicious sounding Ginger-Macadamia-Coconut-Carrot Cake by Kerry!

Carrot cake

I've been hooked on this since the first time I made it 2 or 3 years ago. Best carrot cake EVER! I've fallen off the vegan wagon since then, but it is a vegan cake. No worries though- the hardest part is having patience to grate 2 cups of carrots! It's SO freakin worth it though! Plus when you add the wet ingredients together, its all sparkly and pretty... esp if you're easily amused... and drinkning wine while baking.(Recommended!) :)


Ginger-Macadamia-Coconut-Carrot Cake

2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground or freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 cups carrots, grated

Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease two 8-inch round springform cake pans, or one 9×13″ baking pan.

In a medium mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground spices.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the pineapple juice, oil, sugar, maple syrup, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine well with a hand mixer or strong fork. Fold in the macadamias, ginger, coconut, and carrots.

Divide the batter evenly between the two round pans, or spread in the rectangular pan, and bake for 40-45 minutes. Let it cool in the pans. Once it is cool, remove from the pans and put coconut icing (recipe to follow) between the layers and more icing on top. If you’ve used a rectangular pan, you can cut the cake in half to form the two layers, or leave it as one layer.

Coconut Icing:
1/4 cup margarine at room temperature (earth balance brand is vegan!)
1/4 cup coconut milk

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted

1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Cream the margarine until light and fluffy. Add the coconut milk and vanilla and combine. Add the confectioners sugar and mix until smooth. Hand held mixer recommended for this! Add the coconut, mix to combine, and refrigerate until ready to use.

Also Aubrey recommended this recipe!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! Keep em coming!

These helpful hints were in the comments of a post. And I thought I'd share them with you! So which is your favorite?

Wish me luck! ;)

Pin It

17 comments:

Ashley said...

I don't care what it is, it doesn't even have to be a cake. As long as it has sugar in it, I will eat it :)

Ashley said...

I'm so glad you liked your bracelet!!!

kym said...

Good luck and me personally, I'm a cheesecake gal. :-)

Samantha said...

carrot cake all the way :)

Jess said...

cheesecake!!! Especially baked cheescake with some strawberry jam yum!

GraphXGrrl said...

Girl, don't play. You know it's cheesecake all the way!

Katelyn said...

Mmmm...cheesecake all the way!! Though I do love carrot cake. I'm pretty sure Cheesecake Factory has a carrot cake cheesecake = the best of both worlds!!

apparentlyjessy said...

Carrot cake would be my choice! Sometimes cheesecake can bit a bit sickening cause of its richness. Good luck with the baking, I'll look forward to photos of the results!

steph dillon said...

Cheesecake! oh my goodness cheesecake!

Vixen lily said...

mmm, i'd say carrot but that cheescake looks sooooo yummy!!!

elycia said...

yikes! that carrot cake sounds sooo good. i'm going to put it on my list to try.
i ate fewer treats before i went vegan. now i feel like i need to try everything yummy looking dessert that is vegan, haha.
♥elycia

...on the brink of something beautiful said...

good luck!!!! both are awesome, and I use to be in love with carrot cake, but I think I might be more of a cheesecake gal now :)
-kel

...on the brink of something beautiful said...

good luck!!!! both are awesome, and I use to be in love with carrot cake, but I think I might be more of a cheesecake gal now :)
-kel

Illustrated Ink said...

Cheesecake, hands down!! Omg, yes!

molly YEH! said...

can i just say.... red velvet?

Joanna said...

Both are amazing!!
Carrot cake is easier to make (and healthier) but cheesecake is sooooo good :)

GA+E said...

CARROT > CHEESECAKE!! (we root for the underdog, but we do love cheesecake too)