Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veteran's Day

Today is Veteran's Day, take sometime to remember those who have served for us. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of my grandfather who serviced in the AirForce. He passed away when I was a year old from Leukemia, more than likely a result from agent orange, which was used to kill the thick vegetation during the Vietnam War. I wasn't able to know him, but boy do I feel like I do! I've heard so many stories from my grandmother and family.

He was a bit of a rascal (that's the nice way of putting it)! He was 6'5 and looked like a movie star! In the AirForce he traveled all over the world. He had more hobbies than I could list here! When he was very sick with cancer and I was only a year old, he realized I didn't have a rocking chair. So he went out to his work shop and built me one - right then, sick and everything!! He has a super hero status in my mind.
 Oh and he was amazing talented in wood working (something he passed on to my dad - along with his super heroness ;))! These photos are from Vietnam, this is what he did to pass the time. Last Christmas I took all his slides from my grandmother's house and used a slide scanner to put them on a DVD for my family (there were thousands of slides). Slides on flickr.

You know who we should also remember today - the spouses of the Vets! My Nanny raised 3 kids while my grandfather was overseas! How crazy would that be?! She's a real super hero! I've asked her how she did it and she just says, "You do what you have to and everything turned out great!" 
Thank you Papaw and thank you Nanny! 


Pin It

9 comments:

misslarissabree said...

This is the sweetest post. Its Remembrance Day up here in Canada pretty much the same thing.
No matter if people don't agree with war its always so important to remember the people that did, and served for whatever country. :)

Becky said...

What a sweet post, Becky. He really was very handsome. I love the rocking chair story, how lovely.

miss teacups. said...

aw, what a lovely post becky. it's nice seeing personal posts on peoples blogs as well as life isn't always rainbows and butterflies. the rocking chair story is adorable. i wish you had a chance to know him too, grandpas can be so amazing...i'm sure he knows everything you're up to though!!

heather dawn said...

his pictures are beautiful! i wish you could have known him too! i am so thankful for our veterans! :)

Amber said...

Thanks for sharing this Becky. Your grandpa did look like a movie star. And your grandma sounds like a rock star. I have heard my say many of times "you just did what you needed to do". Amazing woman that is for sure!

Illustrated Ink said...

What an awesome man and story. My grandfather was a wood worker too. :) Thank you for sharing, Becky! It's good to remember and be thankful for their sacrifices!

chelseybell. said...

your grandfather seriously does sound like a super hero (he's even got the charming good looks thing down!).

Becky Farley said...

Thanks everyone for all your very sweet comments!!! I got alil choked up writing this post, so it means alot you all wrote such wonderfully sweet comments - I have the best blogger buddies!! :) thank you!

mags said...

Becky, He truly was an amazing man and you were the light of his life! Your father and I decided to start a family so he could have and enjoy a grandchild because we didnt know how long he had (and what a wonderful chld and grandchild we created...you are so sentimental and creative, just like him!)
What a wonderful tribute to all the veterens and especially to your papaw and nanny. I love you, Mommy