Tuesday, February 15, 2011

QR Codes - The Future is Here!

QR Code Strumpets Crumpets copy
Do you know what this is!? That strange square pixelated mess there is my website! It's called a QR Code, basically a barcode, which your smart phone can read (with a free app)! Most recently I saw QR Codes being used at the Denver Airport. It was pretty cool, one QR Code let you download Moby Dick and other classic books. And the other day a customer made business cards with nothing but a QR code, having their name and number in the code, I thought it was super clever! Today I thought it would be cool for Strumpet's Crumpet to have a QR Code, so I created my own QR Code here! If you do this and decide to print, make sure you save the LARGEST QR Code that you can - printers need 300 dpi files ;) 
Strumpets Crumpets QR Code
I made the front all cute and Strumpet-like and put my QR Code on the back! These cards are 3x3 inches. I printed these at work on the digital machine, which allows you to print low quantities very high quality! They came out awesome! Ps if you have this app on your phone, you can scan the photo above and it will take you to Strumpet's Crumpets - try it (tell me if you do)! :)

Above is how the QR Code scanning on an iPhone works! I just downloaded the first free QR app in the App store. Then you just hold the camera over the QR Code and it reads it automatically! So futuristic!!! I think BlackBerries have a QR reader built in them - fancy!
 I was thinking, because you all are the BEST readers/crafters/buds, I asked my guy if we could give you guys a discount on 3x3 inch QR Code Cards! He said, "Of course!" So if you're interested, check out Sonic Print's business cards (and if you want 3x3 cards, you them for the same cost). You can get free shipping anywhere in the states by using the code SUPERFUTURISTIC in the comments hehe!! Seriously! Are QR Codes awesome! Let me know if you've heard of QR Codes before - I'm super curious!
Pin It

19 comments:

Jana said...

COOL!

tishous said...

I have yet to give in and get a smartphone, but I've noticed these everywhere! Magazines, shops, even Busch Gardens! It's such a neat way to be able to check things out!

miss teacups. said...

yeah, blackberries have them built in, it's to add people to the blackberry messenger (instead of adding a number) we have one of those but it's just called a bar code. it's pretty neat though...never seen them for anything outside of the blackberry.

taryn said...

this is COOL! i didn't know what those codes were for (i rock an old school celly).

dana said...

I love QR codes!! These are such a good idea. I want to make some lol

Alyssa said...

OMG i didnt realise you could now do that on iphones as well! I thought it was a bb thing! I just downloaded it and scanned you and it worked - dying of excitement!!!

apparentlyjessy said...

Very cool. The cards look great! Maybe you should leave a few cards 'hidden' around your city, Starbucks maybe, see who finds your blog!
I haven't seen a lot of the QR codes around here, sometimes they are in the corner of ads.
I did see this T-shirt on Threadless recently though: http://www.threadless.com/product/2544/Arrrgmented_Reality/tab,guys/style,shirt

Hearthandmade said...

what the heck are those!! i need to investigate

marci said...

Is it the same as Stickybits? It sounds very similar so I was wondering if it was the same company.

nicole said...

pretty sweet!
I went to a burrito event and a restaurant had a QR burned into their tortillas (and print outs too) that linked to the recipe.
http://iamahoneybee.com/2011/02/08/ole-first-annual-burrito-bowl-recap/

Elora said...

Wow! That is fantastic! Living in the future baby :D

sdillondesign said...

Very tech of you Becky! :) We use these on printed pieces for some of our clients. Its so sci-fi right? haha

O. said...

super snazzy, i'm going to order some cards. i just need to sit down in front of a computer long enough to make a design.

wonder forest said...

omg what a cool idea!!
i want to make some secret messages now!!

xo
thewonderforest.blogspot.com

Cat said...

how awesome is that! I want an iphone so I can do fun stuff like that! I made one for my friend who has an iphone so I guess that will have to be all the fun I have! Seriously, cool stuff!!!

Moe said...

this is so cool!! It's the future lol

Fenn said...

Thanks! It's now my facebook iconotar. I wonder which one of my geeky friends will figure it out first.

cjaxon said...

love them! I had to scan it and try! love the app. So useful.

Melanie @ Tip Toe Thirty said...

After seeing this on Campfire Chic's blog and then your blog I totally had to try it. Downloaded Tapreader on iphone and I also see at the bottom you can create your own code at www.tapreader.com/qrcode.html. I might need to do that! How cool!