Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mourning Wreath

Here's a fun craft for everyone - a Mourning Wreath! 
Things you'll need for this DIY:
1. hair from the dead
2. wire to wrap hair around
3. your imagination
Crazy right!? That's human hair from dead people made into a fancy wreath. My aunt loves to collect odd things and this piece takes the cake for sure! Look at all the detail! It's pretty amazing!
 Here's Wiki's explanation:
A mourning wreath is a wreath made almost entirely of human hair. During the victorian era death was common. When a loved one would pass someone would clip a piece of the deceased's hair and usually make a beautiful flower design out of the hair and place it in a wreath. The wreath would grow larger as more individuals would pass from the family. Eventually the wreath would form a horse shoe shape symbolizing ascending to heaven.
I found this post on the Constant Gatherer blog about Mourning Wreaths.
I'm going to propose this idea to my family and see how they take it :) 
It's a bit creepy, but it also incredibly awesome and beautiful! 
I can't wait to read your comments about this one!! :) 
Pin It

12 comments:

Carrie Rosalind said...

Wow! You're right - creepy but pretty cool, too! Thanks for sharing - I'd never heard of a mourning wreath!

misslarissabree said...

I think that's the most amazing thing. What a way to preserve memories of people. I think its gorgeous

Jordan said...

They had a very similar really cool scene made out of the dead's hair on Oddities awhile back. Have you seen that show, amazing.

daNgo said...

Okay... step one, kill someone Dexter style. Becky do I see sheets of plastic in your future?

Amber said...

I almost threw up in my mouth when I saw the picture:) I was eating my lunch while reading it and well... for some reason other peoples hair makes me gag. That is why I can not ever go to the laundry mat:) If I find other peoples hair on my clothes... I gag. Poot thinks it is silly since it is just hair...but hey:) So needless to say there will be no Poot Mourning Wreath in our future. LOL!

chelseybell. said...

during one of my classes last semester we learned about hair jewelry (mostly neckalces), which looks like it was popular around the same time as the mourning wreath.

so you know, make a mourning wreath and then make a necklace.

Colleen said...

This is an absolutley beautiful piece! It's such a romantic way to preserve your loved ones - but it does have a LOT of the creepy factor to it! lol!

Tyler Durden said...

Given a long enough time line the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

miss teacups. said...

oh geez.

hmm...how do i feel about this? well, it LOOKS beautiful, yes. but knowing that it is human hair...kind of weird. HOWEVER! i do have extensions that are real human hair (i don't wear them anymore) but really...that's just as gross, if not grosser, since i wore them, right?

miss teacups. said...

ps: i am writing you an email, right meow. your post reminded me.

heather dawn said...

i can't help but laugh! i know it's wierd.. but this is just insane.. kinda wierd/interesting mostly creepy. i'll let you know if i ever get around to making one. AHHA. And I will reference your tutorial! ;)

ps. thanks for making me giggle.. even though death is sad.. this is just out there! ;)

Becky Farley said...

bahahahaha I LOVE all the comments!
Amber - you crack me up!!!
Carly lolol you are too cute!
Heather - It is way creepy ;)