Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Old News Clippings

My sister and I found these Tampa Tribune article clippings last week. They're from 1966 when my grandfather came home from Vietnam.  Yesterday was Memorial Day, which is to remember soldiers who died in combat, thankful my grandfather, Ray C Farley didn't, but he did die very young from cancer more than likely linked to Agent Orange - used in Vietnam to clear the trees and bushes. He's a bit about my grandfather.
I love this photo of my grandparents, I have it framed at home.
 The article of course made me teary eyed, but also cracked me up at the same time. Look at the "except for the Kerosene episode," bahahaha my uncle drank from a soda can of Kerosene (very scary at the time, but funny to read 40+ years later). It was the 60's, apparently people left Kerosene sitting around.
 I can imagine how my grandmother was then - just as amazing and calm as she is today.
 These photos may be staged but they're sweet. They look so "All American"- guess that was the goal. 
Just thought I'd share these photos with you all! This is the complete opposite of the way Danny, Lauren, and I grew up - both my mom and dad were around all the time. I feel lucky and thankful for that.
Pin It

8 comments:

sécia said...

Great post!

♥ sécia
www.petiteinsanities.blogspot.com

miss teacups. said...

aw! isn't that amazing!! :)

Carrie Rosalind said...

Those are awesome! So special.

motherawesome said...

How great to have these! And your gramps was quite a handsome man!

danny said...

This article is really cool Becks! glad you guys found them! weird to see Nanny catching a football!

Lauren said...

I'm so glad we found these! I can hear Nanny saying all of those things :)

Amber said...

Wow... how amazing! I loved reading these!! So sweet! And yay to your family keeping them around! Such a sweet photo of your grandparents!

Sway said...

All I can say is WOW! You are so lucky to have found such an amazing piece of family history!! Its just so sweet! <3