Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Quilting Day

Last weekend my sister and I headed to our Aunt Jackie's house for some quilting and sewing (and eating lots of tasty food)! Jackie surprised Lauren with this AMAZING quilt for her graduation! Jackie wanted to keep it hahahaha!!! Jackie is a crazy awesome quilter, she just made a quilt for Danny's graduation! Jackie taught Lauren and I how to quilt, though we are no where near as good as her!
 For those of you who are kind of new to my blog, you may not know I quilt at all, oh but I do haha! Just not in awhile! I prefer hand sewing, see here, here, and here I taught my little cousin! But I do machine work too! See here and here! And the only quilt I've ever completely finished is Eli's haha! Even since I learn to crochet, I've stopped quilting. I miss it!!! Especially after I saw this fabric (above) at my aunt's house. I wanted to steal it all ;) I didn't though! But my dearest, best bud is having a little baby, so even though I owe her a wedding quilt, she'll probably get the baby quilt first with little lambs! 
My aunt made this paper pieced quilt - ALL by hand - she's nuts! Isn't it perfect! The points are so sharp and exact! Really makes me want to quilt again! 
Do you quilt? If you do link me your photos pretty please! And maybe share some quilting tips! My tip is - get an aunt Jackie haha or take a class. I learn by watching, so a book wouldn't really help me.
Pin It

11 comments:

Andrea said...

My tip was going to be get a Grandma! haha, mine taught me to quilt when I was 14 and I've got two quilts going now....both have been hibernating for years though... :)

heather dawn said...

love quilting! and i really wish i had an aunt jackie or friend to teach me to quilt. i learn by watching too. :( I've beensaving vintage sheets and pillow cases to make a quilt one day :D

sdillondesign said...

So beautiful! Love the quilts. Love the fabric. I don't quilt but I am certainly appreciative of people like you and Jackie who do!

Alyssa said...

Wow that is amazing. The idea of quilting has always intrigued me. I should start saving fabrics so that maybe one day I can take a class and learn how to make one.

Windsor Grace said...

I really want to learn to quilt! I wish my family was all crafty like yours. My mom knows how to, but after years of telling her I want to learn and years of her refusing to learn to knit, she's decided to take up knitting and really sucks at it. Like, really sucks. She can't get over her perfectionism and you just have to when learning to knit. I'm pretty sure these two things are unrelated, but...it's 4 am. :)

O. said...

I need an aunt jackie, can I borrow her?

chelseybell. said...

dear aunt jackie,

you make some pretty awesome quilts.

blog hearts,

chelseybell.


p.s. becky, that lamby fabric is perfect for a quilt. i'd call it the "wanna play lambs?" quilt...and then I'd drink a fresca.

Rachel said...

Wow, amazing quilt!

miss teacups. said...

i would love to be able to complete a quilt just to be able to say "check that out...i MADE it" i feel like making a quilt would be like, the ultimate accomplishment because they take soooo long...or would if i was making it!! that one for lauren is absolutely stunning..and that lamb fabric, oh my!! adorable.

RollerScrapper said...

I'm learning too. My friend from work quilts and she is taking me to this charity group that her friend does, they give you the stuff and the pattern and you make the quilt top. It is cool because quilts go to kids at the hospital our wounded warriors and you learn while you make these donations. Also it its a big group so I'm sure its fun socially too. A couple fridays ago I went to a quilt night at the sewing store and it was great!

Tera said...

I am teaching myself how to quilt. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who does it so I'm kind of just doing it my own way from a book :) Here's the first one so far. Just a few more steps and it will be ready for my friend's new baby :) http://terasue.com/?p=1786 I also started on one for myself with my favorite fabric scraps.