Monday, July 11, 2011

Embroidery DIY

This weekend I decided to make something special for my Aunt Jackie's birthday! I have this great tattoo linedrawing book by Angelique Houtkamp, who I LOVE and I picked one of her drawings to embroider. I chose the devilish looking teapot gal, because it's most fitting for my aunt hahaha! She's the best aunt ever ps and I love her so much!
If you'd like to embroider from your favorite drawings here's what you'll need:
1. embroidery thread and needles
2. your favorite illustrations
3. fabric to embroider on - you don't have to use white, sometimes it's
awesome to use a dark fabric and then use light/bright embroidery thread
4. Honestly I'm not sure what this is used for - clay - it's almost like a carving tool, but it's blunt
I didn't want to use a pen, because I didn't want to mark up the book
5. Graphite Paper, which you can buy in black or white
6. embroidery hoop - ps I paint mine, because I keep them as the frame!
Embroidery DIY
So you'll begin by placing the fabric under the graphite paper and the actual drawing on top of both the fabric and graphite paper. You may want to use tape to hold all three in place, because if you move it the tiniest bit it'll look strange. As you can see I don't press very hard, because I've been known to rub the graphite blackness on the fabric - looks bad, so be gentle!
Embroidery DIY Strumpets
Once you're finished tracing your image you can start embroidering! I felt a bit rusty yesterday! I use to embroider all the time, but I've lost my precision, I need to practice! My aunt actually taught me how to embroider and when she wasn't around I'd use Sublime Stitches website and kits to help! Here's Sublime Stitches How-To page! If you're a beginner this is a great kit - here!
So because I chose a tattoo linedrawing image, I decided to paint it as if it was a tattoo. I searched the house for watercolors and Eli only had metallic ones haha, but it turned out pretty cool.
tea tattoo embroidery
I put Jackie's nickname on there -JAX :) She liked it alot, I was stoked!
Here's some of my embroidery I've done in the past!
Do you embroider? Who taught you? Know of any good embroidery sites? I'd love to share them with everyone!
Pin It

20 comments:

wallflower said...

Sweet. I think that is really awesome. Although I've never embroidered, and I've always wondered if there's a purpose for it (decorating an item) or if they're just meant to be in a hoop, as a work of art?

chelseybell. said...

you did an awesome job!

the most I've done with a needle and thread this year is sew a bikini kill patch on a purse.

paperpocket said...

Pirate girl in a teapot?! Genius. This is going straight on my to do list.

Jordan said...

It looks great!! I taught myself with the help of my big giant book that teaches needlecrafts: embroidery, knitting, crocheting, quilting, applique. Embroidery is so much fun, but it takes me forever to figure out what to embroider. I'm a slow poke.

Amber said...

That turned out great. I love the looks of that book. Might have to get it:) The paiting was the perfect touch too!

I haven't embroidered for awhile...but I love doing it! I want to try the darker fabric next, I have been too scared to try it. Lol!

dana @ wonder forest said...

that looks awesome! i'm going to have to brush up on my embroidery skills!
xo dana
p.s. contest at my site!
thewonderforest.com

O. said...

I love to embroider but I never know what to make. I need to build up a stash of patterns

The Prairie Hen said...

I have been embroidering tonight for the first time in a long time. I tried the crayon tinting method which was ok. Hopefully the end product is good. ps- Love the pirate tea cup!

knitxcore. said...

i never though to paint my embroidery!!!! what a great idea!!!!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [12 Jul 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

marci said...

This is such a cool idea! And it turned out great! :)

Katie said...

Great idea, using a tattoo book! I love to embroider, and I'm actually teaching an embroidery class now, and this is great inspiration. Lovely!

Lauren Calderon said...

I luurve her!!!

Claire M. said...

I like the design!!

Carrie said...

looks great I love it!!!

Jamie said...

I love, love, love the watercolor that you did with this embroidery!! I taught myself to embroider and have used many of the Sublime Stitches patterns. I really need to practice more and learn new stitches!

Windsor Grace said...

I love that you painted it!

sdillondesign said...

That book looks amazing! It's great to see some embroidery from you again! The results are perfect and the paint is a great touch. You are so talented Becky :)

Anna @ Margo and Betty said...

Wow, never heard of Angelique Houtkamp, but she has some great stuff! I love the paint effect too! :)

Phoebe Vuong said...

It looks cute. I don't know how to embroider, I just knit. last week I emroider my cousin's name in his blanket and it went wrong :) Maybe I'll learn some stitches in internet.
happy wheels unblocked | starcraft | starcraft html5 | starcraft online | starcraft web | happy wheels unblocked | happy wheels demo | car games | car games for kids