Saturday, July 9, 2011

Our Last Space Shuttle Launch Adventure

That a crazy two days! Lauren, Eli, Brian, and I left work in Tampa at 6pm on Thursday, drove to Orlando, picked up our tickets to the launch (because they got lost in the mail-so mad), dropped off two ticket to two lovely Germany fellows- they came all the way to Florida for the launch, went to a hotel for 2 hours to sleep, then we head to the buses at 12:30am! The bus in Orlando drove us to the Kennedy Space Space and we arrived at 3:30am.
Here
Normally Brian and I go to bed pretty early, so this was a bit tough, but I think my excitement took over because I was zippy, so was Eli! This was Lauren, Brian, Eli, and my first time at the Kennedy Space Center, which is strange because we all grew up in Florida. Eli announced that he was more lucky than Brian because he got to go at a younger age than Brian haha rotten tot!
Becky and Eli at NASA
We only had a short time to look around Kennedy Space Center, but the time we spent there was awesome! My FAVORITE part was the Rocket Garden! It was absolutely amazing! All these actually used rockets standing straight up in all their glory - amazing! I loved watching Eli bouncing around SO excited, looking at everything, asking questions - awesome!
Rocket Garden - Kennedy Space Center
Then we waiting in a HUGE line to the bus for a little over an hour. This was a test of patience let me tell you! It was 5:00am and everyone was so tired and everyone was wanting to get on the bus! Thankful we made it, Lauren and I cracked each other up in line. :) I am so thankful to have such a wonderful sister and friend, she really is the best! I just love her so much!
naps before the launch
Once the bus go to the Causeway, the sun had risen and we were ready to go - it was 7:00am! We set up our chairs and towels. And everyone took a nap, even me for 30 mins or so! I was just to excited so I got up and crocheted a bit. Eli fell asleep 5 mins after he sat in the chair til 10 mins before the launch, he got a good nap! Brian bought us breakfast, those Lauren and I ate pistachios and twizzlers on the bus. I didn't want to drink a ton of water, because I did NOT want to use the portapotties, but I think I was a bit dehydrated - Never had to use the portapotties though haha!
Eli and the countdown clock
Brian woke up Eli because the shuttle was only 10 mins from launch! He was so sleepy, but he was a good sport! We were so nervous all morning because the weather was terribly overcast. Over the speaker NASA said everything looked good, but my dad texted me saying CNN said it didn't look good. Oh CNN and their dramatic news coverage! So the countdown began and at 30 seconds they stopped it and then again at 9 seconds - my heart sunk then it was a GO!!!!
Last Shuttle Launch
It is the most amazing site I have ever witnessed! The sound and the light! The light was incredible! I think we all teared up. I had such a feeling of pride, proud of what exactly I'm not sure - the USA, the world, the knowledge the NASA scientists have, how far we've home as a civilization, who knows! But I was all choked up! It was sad too. I really want to believe this won't be the last launch, I want to believe that somehow we will send people into space again. At least I hope. Here is my video of the Launch!
july 8th 2011 Shuttle Launch
Once we were on the bus again, the tour guide for the bus, Stephan, made us all sing Rocket Man, and I really teared up then hahaha Lauren laughed at me haha! I was overly tired and emotional haha she had good reason to laugh - I laughed too and we both sang Rocket Man :)
Now the 4 1/2 hour bus ride back to Orlando was the WORST 4 1/2 ever - it only takes 1 hour normally haha. We inched along in the most uncomfortable bus seats - good thing the Launch was amazing haha, but man was that ride rough! Completely worth it though! We sleep 13 hours last night!
Here's my Flickr album of our Launch Adventure! I'd love to hear your launch stories from the past! Leave your stories in the comments! :) 
Pin It

17 comments:

Miranda said...

I watched the launch on tv, but nothing would beat it live. What a wonderful experience - minus the bus ride home. :)

Out on a limb said...

Coool!!!!!!

:-D

:-O

One smiley just can't capture my face right now.

taryn said...

i woke up just in time to watch the launch on friday! i saw your tweet about being there and i was totally jealous!!! it was really awesome watching live though anyway! great pictures!

when i was in hs we took a trip to orlando and saw a space launch from disneyworld...it was pretty far but you could still see the light and of course the smoke...it was still awesome and i still brag about it, haha.

i like to think that we'll be back in space again too...it's def. not the end. it can't be!

nova said...

I'm so jealous! What a cool experience. And really great photos too.

knitxcore. said...

it was crazy to watch on tv! it must have been cool IRL.

mel said...

awesome shots! I am so jealous that you go tickets! i haven't blogged about it yet, but a couple friends and I drove down from Canada to see it. We slept in a parking lot in Titusville to watch it across the water. I wish I could have seen the countdown clock!
When I blog mine I"ll link to you, the pics are better up close.
It was great fun though!

Lauren Calderon said...

That is so amazing!!!!

chelseybell. said...

so cool.

i have no more words than those.

Amber said...

Such amazing shots Becky!! I had to chuckle when you said that you teared up:) I do that all the time for the strangest things and it usually patriotic things!! So I am right there with you... I would of been teary eyed. LOL!

nicole said...

I love your photos and your video. Glad you guys got to witness the last launch!

Lan Linh said...

Do not know what to say, I liked your article and I hope you will have many entries or more.
pacman unblocked
happy wheels games
unblockedgames
hulk game
mickey mouse game
super adventure pals
madness project nexus hacked

thị hậu nguyễn said...

I'm so jealous! What a cool experience. And really great photos too.

Love KidsTV said...

Thanks for your post. Click to play Plants vs Zombies , Solitaire,Tom And Jerry Games, Brain Games, Happy Wheels , Five Nights At Freddy's

Love KidsTV said...

Truyen ngon tinh hay la the loai truyen tinh cam
Truyen teen hay la nhung truyen tinh yeu tuoi teen
Don doc tai trang doc truyen online.

GunBlood Unblocked said...

Gunblood is definitely a western design and style and elegance shootout recreation where your mission is always to be essentially probably the most feared gunslinger throughout the territory you occupy. To achieve that feat, you'll have to defeat just about every one of several marksmen that you are going to combat with in one on 1 enjoyment and bloody gun fights. It truly is Pretty much one of the most addictive and gluing on line video games after you battle for your search to get the greatest gunslinger. The game GUNBLOOD has exceptional audio results and visually attention-grabbing graphics which makes images crystal clear. To Enjoy this recreation you will need to have excellent reflexes, You will need to understand evasion techniques so that you'll be not strike. The computer mouse is mostly your weapon. The mouse movements assist you to transfer and shoot the enemy. The Activity alone is not not easy to know and use relating to gameplay, you'll be able to realize this The instant you click the Start Activity button. You'll discover up to ten avatars to select from if you are picking out video clip sport figures. You push “Commence” to get started on true gameplay way. Place the mouse pointer more than the pistol cylinder graphic for the display, this will most likely trigger A 3 following timer, when the timer operates out, you might want to stage at The top within your opponent then remaining basically simply click to shoot. This could seem clear sailing but you will need to be brief and versatile as your enemy is normally on the lookout to eliminate you at very good rate. That is by which You will need to grasp your reflexes. Gunblood consists of A few reward rounds in which you shoot products like bottles and birds Every single with the when not hitting your assistant that is standing before you. These rounds need to be accustomed to sharpen your experience. It really is an economical activity to look at and boost your reflexes. You use the mouse for your personal controls. GunBlood Western Shootout Gunfight Match is the best activity i have Anytime tried using making use of. It is feasible to interact During this exercise entirely absolutely free at our World wide web-web site love gameplay and Improve your temper with Probably one of the most preferred games over the world.
gunblood | gun blood | gunblood unblocked | gunblood cheats| gunblood cheats| Barbie | Barbie Dream House| kartulad| happy wheels 2 demo | Gunblood 2 | gun blood unblocked unblocked games |
MORE INFO - gunblood | gun blood cheats | cheats for gunblood | gunblood game | gunblood | gunblood unblocked |

Lisa M. Henry said...

Hotmail is an email account of Microsoft Corporation. Like Google's Gmail, it is full of features usually xuyen.Neu of an email you want to register an account please follow these basic steps:
Hotmail login

Hotmail review

Sign in to hotmail

Login to hotmail

Recover hotmail password

Tank Trouble is a very interesting flash game about tanks, about war and about destruction
TANK TROUBLE | TANK TROUBLE 2

One Penguin Takes it personally when he is surfing the web and stumbles upon a web site telling him that he cant fly, after that he sets his mind to research and practice flying until he can prove the world that he can..
Slitherio | LEARN TO FLY | LEARN TO FLY 2

Strike Force Heroes is a new game action-packed shooter from the creators of Raze; with 3 game modes, 15 campaign missions and over 65 weapons.
Strike Force Heroes | Strike Force Heroes 4

Strike Force Heroes 2

Alice Denny said...

I was working and suddenly I visits your site frequently and recommended it to me to read also. Age Of War 2
Big Farm | Slitherio
Tank Trouble | Happy Wheels
Goodgeme Empire | Slither.io