Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ringling Museum Adventure

A few weeks ago, Brian and I had a little (2 day) Spring Break of our own! 
I've been wanting to go to the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida for as long as I can remember and out of the blue Brian suggested we go there! I was SO excited! 
It was amazing! Better thought I even imagined! 
Untitled
There is a teeny tiny circus called the Howard Bros. Circus, which is an exact (PERFECT) miniature! 
This was the craziest thing I've ever seen! 
"The Howard Bros. Circus, complete with eight main tents, 152 wagons, 1,300 circus performers and workers, more than 800 animals and a 57-car train, is on permanent display in the Ringling Circus Museum’s Tibbals Learning Center.  The Howard Bros. Circus is a ¾-inch-to-the-foot scale replica of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus when the tented circus was at its largest (circa 1919-1938), and occupies 3,800 square feet in the 30,600 sq. ft.-Tibbals Learning Center."
All built by one man and his wife! 
Untitled
I fell in love with the circus all over again! 
(though keep in mind I do not go to B&B circuses because of the animals) 
Untitled
Untitled
We had THE most fun together! 
Leggy
I bought Eli, Brian, and I clown noses, and I wore mine around the museum grounds ;)
 had to
John Ringling built his wife a castle by the sea! 
John Ringling's view
It was incredibly tacky, but also beautiful! 
All the windows were colored like the photo above! 
John Ringling's home
Look at their view! 
Though sadly his wife died about 4 or 5 years after it was built.
their view
Untitled
Untitled
Look at this! Little birdie! 
perfect
These crazy, rich circus folks just loved Florida! I totally get it! 
Untitled
It was like a dream! 
Untitled

I found some old slides of my grandfather's trip to Ringling Museum in the early 60's. 
I took his slide and my photo and put them side by side! Kinda neat huh?!
Ringling Museum now and then
Ringling Museum in the early 60's
I guess it runs in my Farley blood - that shirtless little boy is my dad! haha! 
Shirtless at the museum! AND Two clowns in love at the museum! ;)
Couple of clowns in love ❤
Here's all the photos in my Ringling Museum Adventure Flickr set!
Pin It

3 comments:

nova said...

AWESOME!!! I want to go there. I have such mixed feelings about the circus too because of the animals. I don't go but part of me REALLY REALLY wants to.

sillycyclops said...

I split between parents house and my dad lives in Sarasota. My Art Appreciation professor made us go for a museum assignment and it's so amazing. One day I want to spend the extra few bucks to go upstairs in their house. :) glad you had fun!

<3 Ashlynn.

Robert Dulaney said...

those windows are incredible! wow!