Friday, August 17, 2012

Jukebox Love

Last Saturday, Brian sent me a photo of a jukebox, he was at an arcade auction. The photo was of a jukebox (not on, so no lights) and it was super beat up! He knows I've been wanting a jukebox for awhile now, and he has a good friend who knows EVERYTHING about jukeboxes. He text his friend the same photo-his friend said GET IT! 
I'm in love w it! He sent me a photo from the auction but it's 1000000x better in real life!!
The photo he sent me did NOT do that jukebox justice (and honestly neither does this one) it's beautiful! Even all beat up! It's a 1954 Wurlitzer! The first jukebox to have a record carousel.
'54 wurlitzer jukebox ❤  Bri said he got it bc it had so much Elvis in it already ⚡
I loved it right away!
our wurlitzer
our wurlitzer
Then a few nights later, Brian and I drove out to this fellow's house who restores everything from pinballs to jukeboxes! Arcade Antiques is his company. The man lives in a wonderland of nostalgic toys! It was completely amazing! I didn't want to leave haha! I want to grow up and be him! hahaha
Once ours is all cleaned up this is what it will look like  #1954 #wurlitzer
He showed us his 1954 Wurlitzer Jukebox, which he restored to perfection (above). It was in his bedroom haha and it played beautifully! It was then Brian gave him the go ahead to fix ours up! 
This is a 1955 wurlitzer  if I seem excited its bc I am! Haha I wanna learn everything abt jukeboxes now and own every year!
Jim (that's the wonderland fellow's name) took us around his home. All I could say was, "Oh my!" All his jukeboxes were completely perfect! He played them all for us! He had jukeboxes everywhere! 
Just had the time of my life looking at old jukeboxes
He had a bunch is a work shop, very beat up, but still so beautiful! 
He had cocacola stuff, old coin-op space ship rides for kids, old gas pumps, scales that tell your fortune and your weight - I want one!, soda machines, old registers, and about 194599589 jukeboxes! :) 
Then he had the cream of the chop! 
Look at this 1947 Wurlitzer jukebox (both photos above and below)! 1947!!!
 And it's 100% perfect! The man is a wizard! 
Look at how things use to be made! So much detail and beauty! 
The speaker for the 1947 Wurlitzer
The term "jukebox" came into use in the United States around 1940, apparently derived from the familiar usage "juke joint", derived from the Gullah word "juke" or "joog" meaning disorderly, rowdy, or wicked. 
Hahaha Sounds good to me! Every Strumpet needs a rowdy, wicked music box ;) 
Here is our Coin Op Love Flickr set, I added Jim's treasures to it so you can take a peek! 
Pin It

4 comments:

Sandra said...

jukeboxes are brilliant and reminds me of some older movies^^
it really got atmosphere :)

Lauren said...

I love Gullah!!! You should try and find a video of someone speaking it!

I BLEED PINK said...

How exciting!! Will you it be done enough time for your wedding?

used forestry bucket truck said...

i haven't seen a jukebox in years! how cool